Wednesday 7 August 2019

5 reasons it’s totally O.K. to still watch kids’ movies

5 reasons it’s totally O.K. to still watch kids’ movies

Link to US – The Official Roku Blog

5 reasons it’s totally O.K. to still watch kids’ movies

Posted: 06 Aug 2019 11:28 AM PDT

When I found out we were adding one of my favorite movies, Happy Feet 2, to The Roku Channel for free, I was excited. Now was my chance to crank my A.C. and throw a Winter movie marathon complete with ice cream and snowy movies. I know, I know, you're probably thinking, "How can Happy Feet 2 be one of your favorite movies? That's a kids' movie!" Let me stop you right there… kids' movies aren't just for kids.

Below, we’ve listed five reasons why it's totally O.K. to still watch kids' movies as an adult.

5. Your old favorites? They're still just as good.

This one's easy. Nostalgia–there's nothing quite like it. Kids' movies are the perfect time machine to bring you back to happier memories. You'd imagine a movie from your childhood couldn't possibly still be this good decades later. I'm here to tell you sometimes they're better than you remember. Now older and more mature, you can pick up on details you might have overlooked before. Plus kids' movies were built to last and be rewatched over and over again.

4. They're not afraid to get dark.

Recently a friend and I went through our favorite children's films, and discovered each one had one component you wouldn't imagine would be suitable for children. From Scar killing Mufasa in The Lion King to Rasputin literally selling his soul to curse a royal family in Anatasia, there's a whole lot of messed up stuff that happens in kids' movies. Think Bambi is the only sad kids' movie? Think again!

3. The jokes are good.

I don't know how many times I've watched Despicable Me. Between my time in college carting the DVD to my friend's dorm room and back home to watch with my family, my watch count has got to be in the dozens. The jokes continue to make me laugh with every watch, sometimes landing better than they did on first watch. From over-the-top to dry humor, it just works.

2. They put your imagination to work.

A dancing penguin, sure, why not? Stealing the moon? Totally doable. An actual sloth working the DMV? Yeah, that one made me laugh too.  In kids movies, the impossible is possible and achievable. From Coco's Land of the Dead to Finding Nemo's spectacular underwater world, animation has the power to shed light on places you wouldn't have otherwise explored.

1. They provide an escape.

While I love prestige TV as much as the next person, sometimes you're just not in the mood to watch another true crime documentary or catch up on The Handmaid's Tale. Sometimes you just want to relax and hit pause on the outside world for an hour and kids movies are the perfect solution.

Looking for more kids movies and TV shows? Check out these free kids Roku channels.

Happy Streaming!

The post 5 reasons it's totally O.K. to still watch kids' movies appeared first on The Official Roku Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment