Wednesday 13 February 2019

Q+A with Geraldine Viswanathan and Karan Soni of Miracle Workers

Q+A with Geraldine Viswanathan and Karan Soni of Miracle Workers

Link to US – The Official Roku Blog

Q+A with Geraldine Viswanathan and Karan Soni of Miracle Workers

Posted: 12 Feb 2019 03:06 PM PST

We recently had the chance to catch up with Geraldine Viswanathan and Karan Soni of TBS Network’s new limited series, Miracle Workers! The show is set in the offices of Heaven, Inc. and when God (Steve Buscemi) plans to destroy the Earth, two low-level angels (Daniel Radcliffe and Geraldine Viswanathan) must convince their boss to save all of humanity.

We piqued their brains on why viewers will love the show, how they prepared for their roles, and who the biggest jokester on set is.

Miracle Workers premieres Tuesday, 2/12 on TBS Network. Add the channel today to make sure you don’t miss an episode!

What do you think viewers will love most about Miracle Workers?

Geraldine: Well there's Steve Buscemi playing God… so there's that. Honestly there's so much to love about this show. I think the depiction of the angels is really fun and interesting because they are just as flawed and human as the humans on earth. I think the writing behind the show is brilliant and audiences will enjoy the way that Simon Rich's brain works.

Karan: I think viewers will love the world that our creator Simon Rich has created. A lot of time and effort went into creating our wacky Heaven Inc set and each time I would walk on to it, I would feel giddy. As the season progresses, the angels are forced to traverse through the entire Heaven Inc compound and viewers will get to see places like ‘The Department of Death’, ‘The Department of Mammoths’ and even ‘The Department of Genitals’. Simon had a ton of fun imagining what it took to run planet Earth and the show brings his vision to life beautifully. And, I mean, you also see Steve Buscemi in a killer wig.

How did you prepare for your role?

Geraldine: Jorma, Daniel and I rehearsed a lot for the pilot to make sure we were all on the same page which was really fun. Eliza is very confident, so if I ever felt intimidated on set, I would do power poses or jump around to get into the Eliza mode.

Karan: By going to FlyWheel and exercising a lot! I play Sanjay, who is God’s right hand man. He is described in the script as this impeccably dressed and perfectly groomed angel. Before we started filming, our costume designer met with all of us for our fittings and she decided that I would wear these amazing (and very tight fitting) custom suits. I left that fitting and jumped straight onto the first spin bike I could find.

How do you like playing in comedies versus other genres?

Geraldine: I really love playing in all genres! Comedy is really so fun, especially when you have incredible cast mates like this.

Karan: Working in comedies is truly the best job on Earth! Now I know you’ll hear drama people say the same thing about their job, don’t believe them. When you work in comedy, your whole goal is to come to work and have fun and make your co-workers laugh. I meannnn c’mon. That’s a dreamy gig and I feel very lucky I get to do it.

What do you love most about your character?

Geraldine: I love how unrelenting and strong she is. She also led a pretty cool life back on earth (no spoilers).

Karan: I really loved playing Sanjay. He walks into a room and demands to be seen and heard and says whatever is on his mind.  He is this brash, confident man on the surface but deep down he is desperate for human interaction and camaraderie. As an actor, it’s very fun to play the back and forth of both those things. I would describe myself as a moderately confident person so playing someone with this level of unabashed confidence was so fun.

What 3 words would you use to describe your character?

Geraldine: Driven, bold and reckless.

Karan: Confident. Lonely. Brown.

Who's the biggest jokester on set?

Geraldine: Karan Soni always has some epic stories up his sleeve. I think he and Jon Bass provided plenty of on set entertainment.

Karan: ME! Well, not really, but I did play one epic prank on my co-star Jon Bass. Jon plays one of the humans on the show and so he never had scenes with the cast that played angels. So towards the end of the season, I convinced some of crew to tell Jon that one day I brought in Amazon gift cards worth $100 for our entire crew. That’s hundreds of people so hundreds of $100 gift cards. Jon would never had been on set the same time as me so as people began coming up to him and talking about my generosity, he had no choice but to believe them. Later on he asked me about it and I pretended to be embarrassed and confirmed that I did do it. I let him believe this lie for several days until I finally told him the truth. In reality I got our crew a dreamy coffee truck, shoutout to Toasty Toad in Atlanta!

What about Miracle Workers do you think people will be most surprised about?

Geraldine:  I think they'll be surprised by the heart that is in this show. It's incredibly funny and silly but is also quite profound and beautiful at times.

Karan: That the show is really funny but also has a ton of heart. I won’t be surprised if some people are a little teary eyed by the end.

What's your favorite show that you're watching right now?

Geraldine: I'm actually watching the Good Place – I think it's so funny and I love the cast. Clearly I'm a sucker for afterlife comedies.

Karan: I love me some TV and watch lots of it. It’s early in 2019 and so far I’ve watched Sex Education, Pose, Tidying Up, Claws and…wait for it….Temptation Island.

Happy Streaming!

The post Q+A with Geraldine Viswanathan and Karan Soni of Miracle Workers appeared first on The Official Roku Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment